13 Madison Avenue
New York, NY, USA

  • Architectural Style: Federal
  • Bathroom: 3
  • Year Built: 1850
  • National Register of Historic Places: N/A
  • Square Feet: 2,200 sqft
  • National Register of Historic Places Date: N/A
  • Neighborhood: N/A
  • National Register of Historic Places Area of Significance: N/A
  • Bedrooms: 4
  • Architectural Style: Federal
  • Year Built: 1850
  • Square Feet: 2,200 sqft
  • Bedrooms: 4
  • Bathroom: 3
  • Neighborhood: N/A
  • National Register of Historic Places: N/A
  • National Register of Historic Places Date: N/A
  • National Register of Historic Places Area of Significance: N/A
Neighborhood Resources:

Property Story Timeline

You are the most important part of preserving home history.
Share pictures, information, and personal experiences.
Add Story I Lived Here

Apr 13, 2023

  • Charmaine Bantugan

13 Madison Avenue

Completed in 1850, it was partly built when it was purchased that year by John David Wolfe (1792-1872) who subsequently finished it. Having made a fortune in the hardware business, he retired here with his wife Dorothea Ann Lorillard (1798-1866), dividing their time between here and The Doric Mansion at Throgg's Neck. Their brownstone dominated the corner at East 24th Street and after Mrs Wolfe died here in 1866 John was joined here by his only surviving child, Catharine Lorillard Wolfe, who acted both as his companion and helped him dispatch his liberal and generous charity.... Catharine inherited the house in 1872 and she continued her father's legacy of extraordinary philanthropy. She filled the house with many of the 140-paintings that she would famously donate to the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Aside from paintings and art treasures from Europe, she ensured it was also filled both with guests and, "the most beautiful flowers all winter". She divided her time here, her parents' country home at Throgg's Neck and the house with which she is best associated at Newport, Vinland. Catharine died in 1887 and left the house, fully furnished, to her first cousin and principal heir, David Wolfe Bishop (1834-1900), who moved in with his wife, Florence Van Cortlandt Field (1851-1922). After their son's, Cortlandt F. Bishop's marriage in 1899 to Amy Bend - who two years before had been engaged to the considerably older William Kissam Vanderbilt - he and his new wife moved next door to No. 11 but moved back into No. 13 when Cortlandt's father died the following year. His widowed mother, Florence, was remarried after just a year (1901) to John Edward Parsons, moving into his home at 30 East 36th Street. By 1903, Cortlandt and Amy had commissioned Ernest Flagg to build them a new home at 15 East 67th Street and No 13 was demolished.

13 Madison Avenue

Completed in 1850, it was partly built when it was purchased that year by John David Wolfe (1792-1872) who subsequently finished it. Having made a fortune in the hardware business, he retired here with his wife Dorothea Ann Lorillard (1798-1866), dividing their time between here and The Doric Mansion at Throgg's Neck. Their brownstone dominated the corner at East 24th Street and after Mrs Wolfe died here in 1866 John was joined here by his only surviving child, Catharine Lorillard Wolfe, who acted both as his companion and helped him dispatch his liberal and generous charity.... Catharine inherited the house in 1872 and she continued her father's legacy of extraordinary philanthropy. She filled the house with many of the 140-paintings that she would famously donate to the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Aside from paintings and art treasures from Europe, she ensured it was also filled both with guests and, "the most beautiful flowers all winter". She divided her time here, her parents' country home at Throgg's Neck and the house with which she is best associated at Newport, Vinland. Catharine died in 1887 and left the house, fully furnished, to her first cousin and principal heir, David Wolfe Bishop (1834-1900), who moved in with his wife, Florence Van Cortlandt Field (1851-1922). After their son's, Cortlandt F. Bishop's marriage in 1899 to Amy Bend - who two years before had been engaged to the considerably older William Kissam Vanderbilt - he and his new wife moved next door to No. 11 but moved back into No. 13 when Cortlandt's father died the following year. His widowed mother, Florence, was remarried after just a year (1901) to John Edward Parsons, moving into his home at 30 East 36th Street. By 1903, Cortlandt and Amy had commissioned Ernest Flagg to build them a new home at 15 East 67th Street and No 13 was demolished.

1850

Property Story Timeline

You are the most important part of preserving home history.
Share pictures, information, and personal experiences.
Add Story I Lived Here

Similar Properties

See more
Ready to start your home history journey?
Sign up for a free HouseNovel account and receive our complimentary eBook on how to research your home's story.